Click on the “Questions” to get the “Answers”.
General Direct Mail Questions
- What is Direct Mail Marketing?
- Direct mail is one of the most common forms of direct marketing, and is utilized by businesses, charities and other nonprofits, political campaigns, and many other organizations. Advertisers often refine direct mail practices into targeted mailings, in which mail is sent out following database analysis to select recipients considered most likely to respond. For example, a person who has demonstrated an interest in golf may receive a direct mail piece for golf related products or perhaps for goods and services that are appropriate for golfers. This use of database analysis is a type of database marketing.
Alternatively, generically addressed direct mail may be sent on a neighborhood-by-neighborhood basis. Whether at the individual or neighborhood level, direct mail marketing allows recipients to be targeted by matching the demographic profile of the recipients to one most closely matching that of likely customers. Individually targeted direct mail may be tailored based on previous transactions and compiled data. For example, all male recipients of an offer may receive a personalized package with a man’s picture on the cover, while all female recipients receive a picture of a woman. Direct Mail has many possibilities for the individuals or the organizations that utilize its potential. Call us today to find out how Direct Mail can work for you.Top of Page | Show all answers | Hide all answers
- How much will my postage be?
- Postage costs are dependent upon the size, weight and thickness of your printed piece, as well as the class of service you choose (First Class Presorted, Standard, or Nonprofit). Please contact our customer service team to get an estimated postage amount for your mailing project.Top of Page | Show all answers | Hide all answers
- Which class of mail should I choose?
- Consider the class that best suits your budget and delivery time of your project. If you have a time sensitive project you may want to consider First Class Presorted mail which delivers typically within 2-3 business days and automatically includes return service for undeliverable addresses. If you need to be more cost conscious, you may want to consider mailing Standard or Nonprofit, which has a general delivery timeframe of 3 to 7 business days and up to 14 days. (Business days are considered Monday through Friday, excluding Federal holidays). Mail delivery time is not guaranteed by USPS.Top of Page | Show all answers | Hide all answers
- What turn around can I expect for mailing?
- Our clients can expect a 24-48 hour turn around for the processing of their project after we have received materials, data information, and postage prepayment. Once submitted to the Post Office, delivery to the addressee can vary considerably depending on the class of mail, processing category and target area.Top of Page | Show all answers | Hide all answers
- Will the weight of my mail piece affect the cost?
- The postage rates on most mail pieces processed as Standard Mail are unaffected by weight until they exceed 3.3 ounces. At that point, a surcharge is calculated and added to the final rate. The rate increases gradually in direct correlation with the weight of the piece up to 16 ounces. Once over 16 ounces, the mail piece is then considered to be in another class of mail altogether.Top of Page | Show all answers | Hide all answers
- What forms of payment do you take for the postage prepayment?
- Postage funds must be paid 24 hours in advance of the mailing date to avoid delays in the mail schedule. Postage may be paid via credit card, check, or money order. Postage payments made with a credit card are subject to a 3% convenience fee.Top of Page | Show all answers | Hide all answers
- Can you mail to foreign addresses?
- If you have foreign addresses in your mailing list, we can mail those, usually at significantly discounted rates. Please contact our customer service team for more information regarding international mailings.Top of Page | Show all answers | Hide all answers
- Which formats do you accept for mailing lists?
- We accept all conventional database formats but prefer Excel, Access, Dbase, or comma delimited text files.Top of Page | Show all answers | Hide all answers
- What does database work include?
- Our database services include verifying all delivery addresses against the most current data available from the U.S. Postal Service and removing duplications. We also verify and update databases consisting of the names and addresses of individuals, families and businesses who have filed a change-of-address with the USPS to keep lists updated, accurate and compliant with postal regulations.Top of Page | Show all answers | Hide all answers
- How much room do I need to leave for the mailing panel?
- The minimum size of the mailing panel is 4” wide x 2” tall in the lower 1/3 of your mail piece. The address area must be completely unprinted and no borders are allowed on the bottom or right edge of the mailing panel. If you are unsure if your design is compliant, contact one of our customer service representatives and they will be happy to assist you.Top of Page | Show all answers | Hide all answers
- Is it okay if the materials are coated?
- Yes. We can imprint addresses on most coated paper stocks including aqueous coatings and varnishes. We cannot print directly on your piece if it has a UV coating. This would require an additional process and cost of affixing an adhesive label to the mail panel. However, you can UV coat the Front side of a postcard without any complications.Top of Page | Show all answers | Hide all answers
- Can I have any size postcard I want?
- Yes, in most cases. There are size limitations (6 1/8” x 11 1/2”) and aspect ratios (length divided by height must be 1.3 – 2.5) that must be met to claim the best postage rate possible for your project. Mail pieces outside these parameters will incur higher postage rates. Contact us for more details.Top of Page | Show all answers | Hide all answers
- What extra processing is involved with a trifold mailer?
- Trifolds or folded mailers must be either single or double tabbed in order to mail. If the folded/closed edge is at the bottom of the mail panel, the piece can single tab at the top for mailing. If the folded/closed edge is at the top of the mailing panel, the piece must double tab at the bottom to mail. Another method is to apply glue spots or glue strips. Please inquire about these and other options.Top of Page | Show all answers | Hide all answers
- Can I include my mailing permit in my artwork?
- Yes, we encourage our clients to add a permit to their artwork prior to having the materials printed. If your materials have already been printed, we can add the permit to your piece while printing the mailing address for an additional fee. Our clients are more than welcome to use our permit a.k.a. indicia on their materials for no additional cost. Please contact our customer service team to have the artwork of the correct permit emailed to you.Top of Page | Show all answers | Hide all answers
- Can I mail at Nonprofit rates?